Basket Order - Funds vs Margin Needed

After my telephonic discussion and email exchange with @Dhan_Help, finally I could bring @Dhan_Help to an agreement that Example 2 will result into DPC initiation irrespective of the MTM (loss/profit) of the trade.

To explain the same here,

Example 1

This will create a credit in the ledger by EOD and the next day opening balance will be positive (~56K). And, hence there is no question of DPC applicability.

Example 2

This will create a debit in the ledger by EOD and the next day opening balance will be negative (~ -14K). And, so DPC will be applied.

Since options contract MTM is not settled EOD daily in the ledger (like Futures contract), for options contract DPC shall only be applicable on a realised loss on closing of the trade.

Hi @PravinJ ,

Now, after explaining the whole theory with detailed examples, I’ve following Feedback for Improvement of DPC Implementation:

1. In the example 2, DPC charges got applied because the application failed to calculate the fund requirements to place this trade. Fund Requirement and Margin Requirement is different, if you can understand in this example. DPC initiation could have been easily avoided, if the application nudges the trader while placing the trade with message that there is not sufficient cash balance to take the trade and if the trade is taken DPC will be applied from tomorrow.

2. For any reason, if DPC is applied, the trader should be notified on daily bases over email and notification message, not at end of a week after DPC initiation.

I had to write this because I faced the same situation explained in example 2 and got to know about DPC only after a week after going through the ledger.

Hoping that my feedback will help you improve the product.

Thanks!

2 Likes