Introducing: Floating P&L & Indices

Hello Traders,

Hope you are having a great New Year so far. We are excited about 2023 and the incredible list of features & products we plan to execute this year.

Dhan is a vast product, everything happens in real-time - but through the times we have received requests from traders that they want to see their P&L and also track key indices (NIFTY50 and BANKNIFTY) all the time when they are logged in to Dhan. It should also be visible on Dhan while they are exploring other trading opportunities or simply browsing Dhan.

So, here it is - a widget of P&L and Indices, which you can place anywhere on the screen and it will be always visible.

To enable, go to the Money section, and in Traders Controls, enable the Floating P&L and Indices.

Once you enable this, the widget will appear on the screen as shown in the image below, which can be dragged and placed anywhere on the screen.

It shows the day’s P&L (realized and unrealized both) along with NIFTY50 and BANKNIFTY Indices. Depending on your need you can remove any of the cards by clicking at the cross mark over the top right of the respective card.

You can continue to take the next trading opportunity or navigate through the Dhan trading console while the widget will always remain at the top.

Some important points to remember:

1. This floating widget is primarily developed for intraday traders. Investors or anyone who doesn’t want this can close this and it will be off till it is turned on again.
  2. If you take any buy/sell position in the Equity / Cash segment and do not close it, the P&L will show the notional profit or loss for that day only.
  3. If you take any buy/sell position in F&O, Currency, or Commodity segment and do not close it, the P&L will show the MTM gain or loss for that day only.

Hope this small widget makes a big difference to your trading journey on Dhan.

Happy Trading, on Dhan!

– Hardik
Product

8 Likes

Hi @Dhan @PravinJ @Hardik, you should think of floating indices option in the dhan app also as we have to hover between portfolio and watchlist tabs to see the indices prices. Otherwise u can bring the pin section of indices to every tab so that it is visible every time. Currently the indices pin section is visible only in Home tab.

2 Likes

Hi @sri1647, we have seen users add Indices or Indices snapshots to their Watchlists, and in Positions you can view your positions based on underlying. With that you have indices view on 3 tabs of the 5 :slight_smile:

Hi @Dhan @PravinJ , first of all, you people are doing an amazing job. Thanks for all the great work you are doing for you users.

I have a small feedback, see if this makes sense, floating P&L feature is just to make sure some details are always visible to you.

What made me switch off this feature?

I used this feature, and I was confused where to position this floating widget as it was hiding some info in background and I had to disable it.

Can we achieve same by using existing feature and space?

I have noticed that we have an amazing left pane, which is visible in all tabs except for money.
Why not use that watchlist tab? Like how you create a default invested portfolio watchlist, you can also create a default F&O watchlist.

And then what we can do is, just to have the first item as P&L. In this way, we can not only track Nifty & BankNifty always, we can also track any index we want along with P&L (With more details, as we will get more space there).

And once we have this, as an enhancement we can plan on bringing P&L for each watchlist. I mean, apart from F&0, any other watchlist can show daily P&L of stocks in that list and in your portfolio.

In this way, it will help everyone, and people can track and choose which P&L they want to focus.

Well, this will come with some restriction, Like you can not add any stock in F&O default watchlist. But for me, I think it is okay. Because majority will get benefit from this and who does not can still create their own normal watchlist , off the watchlist P&L feature and use the floating P&L.

This idea will not work in Money tab, what about that?

For money tab, we will use the same feature which we have, floating P&L, except we wont be floating it anymore, instead we will be fixing it in top left where we currently show index change details. Since the index detail will be available as part of widget we will not need it anymore.

What if I track index other than Nifty& BankNifty?
Well that is a limitation now as well, but in future we should allow users to choose which indices they would like to float (Max 2 at anytime).

Well, this is just an idea, see if its worth considering.

And again, thanks for all the good work you are doing for us.

Thanks,
Vivek

1 Like

Hi @vverma508
you can keep it next to money tab, even if it overlaps with date and live indicator, it should still be good…

Hi Sir, thanks for ur reply. But it would be great if that pin of all major indices in home tab can be brought to all the tabs so that it will be immediately visible.

Thanks for your detailed note @vverma508, appreciate that and also welcome to dhan community. All feedback at dhan is well received, and no product on dhan is shipped and done with. We will iterating a lot based on usage, feedback and continue to enhance the experience.

You have made some valid points, we will look at usage of this. At all times, we want to ensure that experience for our users is seamless, and also they do what they are here to do - trade instantly, manage positions and make effective user of our offerings.

1 Like

Hi @Hardik @PravinJ ,

Since the left side watchlist panel is always visible and watchlist items are customisable (i.e. option chain), if you can add P&L as a watchlist item, it may result into much better user experience than enabling/placing a floating widget on a small screen.

Hello @amit

The reason for adding Floating P&L & Indices was to give users the option and flexibility to place this wherever they want on the screen. That being said, we will surely look into enhancing this widget to make the overall experience better.

Hey @Hardik,

I’m sure user flexibility will be considered for many other feature requests as well

:expressionless:

For example,

The Floating P & L and Indices Window:

Please allow the option to lock this small window of ‘Floating P & L and Indices’ somewhere at non overlapping empty space at the top. Every time we change the page in Dhan Web platform, the position of this small window keeps changing and keeps getting displaced at some undesirable location overlapping on some important information or figures. Then we have to keep adjusting its position. This becomes annoying and keeps irritating and disturbing.

I am aware that it can be turned off from the settings but it’s a good and desirable piece of information to have constantly in front of us. The only problem with it is its constant displacing and unstable position which we have to keep adjusting. So, allow the users to change the widget position as per their preference but please give an additional setting to lock it or dock it at some appropriate desirable position so that it does not move every time we change the page and does not overlap on other informational objects.

In fact, I completely agree with the feedback given by @vverma508.

The reason that he has mentioned is exactly the same for me due to which I had to turn it off. So, unless you people take care of the unstable and constant changing position and overlapping nature of this widget, many users will not prefer to use it and keep it turned off.

Request you to please do something about it if you want it to be used by maximum clients.

Hello @trader7626

Thank you for highlighting this, have noted the issue of floating widget not getting locked in. Although we might not be able to do this across browser sessions, as this has to be stored locally but will definitely optimise this.

The problem is mainly because you people want to allow the users to place the widget as per their individual choice which I feel is not really relevant. Even if you fix the position of this widget in the platform at a certain suitable location at the top, convenient enough to be visible whenever needed and not overlapping on any other information should be good enough.
Just by giving the users extra liberty and freedom to place this widget as per individual choice is not something great convenience that different traders are going to achieve or enjoy it differently. Just having it visible or not having it if someone does not want it, is the only option which matters.
Its not a video game that some people are going to enjoy the widget differently by placing it at different locations. Just a piece of relevant information which if we get to know easily without too much efforts is what we want.
So my suggestion is just remove the widget from the platform and make a fixed box at the top at suitable convenient place to display the same information occupying minimal space.
On the other hand if you can provide the flexibility to change the scripts or indices which different users may want to follow that will be of more benefit for different users. Just retain the option in the settings whether to display it or not to display it.

Hello @trader7626

The idea with floating P&L has been to offer an option wherein user can customise their trading space. We are optimising the same as mentioned.

On your point of showing P&L in a defined section, we have noted this as well. Will check how to incorporate this in web platform with flexibility to user.

First of all I am just wondering that when there is already a provision made to display the live quotes of one index at the left upper corner just above the watchlist, where we get a choice to select any one index from the multiple options of various indices in the drop down menu then why is there a need to have this additional ability to display two more indices and that too in the form of such an unstable kind of irritating widget?
Instead at the same place of Left upper corner just above the watchlist, just try and increase the capacity to display two indices instead of just one. That would also serve the same purpose. There is enough space out there at the upper left corner just above the watchlist to accommodate at least two indices of our choice that too one above the other, instead of spreading the quotes horizontally and thus without occupying the horizontal space.
So this way obviously we will have some more free space available in the widget or the box if your plan it, along with the PnL to display.
May be some other kind of useful parameters.
May be the
Realized PnL or
The margin utilized or
The funds available for trading.
These are also some of the more important parameters related to our trading which we like to know more often, specially when we want to submit new orders for our fresh trades.
Also let your IT team spend their valuable energy and time on little more constructive features which will provide more functionality and flexibility to the users of the platform in many other aspects rather than just wasting their resources on some kind of repetitive trivial features like this widget.

I have enlisted multiple such feature enhancements for the watchlists, Market screeners and the Webhook URL which are actually really basic ones, which I have posted on this community platform. Please read and understand them carefully and try to construct and implement at least some of those features which will add more convenience to your clients and more value to the platform.

1 Like

@trader7626

Thank you for the detailed note. Yes, we have noted your feedback and will definitely explore the feasibility to provide improved experience. At Dhan, we keep on iterating on all our products and features to ensure all user needs are met.