Introducing: Pre-Open Trading on Dhan

At Dhan, we discuss, interact and collaborate closely with our users to ensure we raise the bar for stock trading and investing experience.

In our early beta phase, Dhan was the first (and continues to be the only) investing platform to bring in-line placement of After Market Orders (AMO) in a super simplified and integrated view and experience (Feature Announcement - After Market Orders on Dhan).

We are extremely excited to announce that we have further upped this experience and now have enabled users to place transactions in the Pre-Open Trading sessions of Exchanges. Same seamless experience, enhanced and made incredible again.

Note: This feature is for advanced traders on Dhan, ones who really know what happens in the Pre-Open trading sessions. For those who don’t, let us explain.

Most users think trading in exchanges start at 9:15 am, well they are not wrong. It does start at 9:15 am but before that exchanges do a pre-open session from 9:00 am to 9:15 am everyday which is called the Price Discovery session. Simply stated it is decided on an equilibrium price or price at which the stock prices will at 9:15 am for all to trade, in-turn which is the open price of the day, over previous closing session.

9:00 AM to 9:07 AM : Order Placement Time
9:07 AM to 9:15 AM : Order Matching and Price Discovery

When you place orders via Dhan now for Pre-Order session, your Order will be sent to exchange in the first half, 9:00 AM to 9:07 AM order placement time, you can modify and cancel your orders in this time frame.

Post 9:07 AM, the exchange will stop taking orders, and for any order that is placed on Dhan now will be treated automatically as an AMO order that will be sent to the exchange when the trading session starts at 9:15 AM with the price discovery mechanism.

Is the order execution guaranteed on pre-open time? No, it depends completely on the exchange and the price discovery mechanism that will match all orders on the buy and sell side. All orders that remain unmatched or un-executed in this period will be executed when the trading session starts at 9:15 AM.

Should I trade in the Pre-Open session, just because now the feature is available on Dhan?
No, we don’t recommend that for all.

This feature is for advanced traders only, so do this only and only when you know what you are doing, else avoid as there is very high volatility in this period. And for those Super Traders who know what pre-open session is all about, we welcome you to experience this on Dhan.

As always, no feature on Dhan is final. It’s always our first version, and we continue to make things simpler and better for our users based on your feedback and suggestions.

Enjoy your Dhan Experience!
Kiran

8 Likes

pre open market selling in IPO’s is also available?

Dear @Kiran , @PravinJ jee , the pre market order feature is not available with my dhan option trading app. What is the procedure to activate it if I want to use it.
Please suggest
Thank you

Hi @DebadattaMahakud This is live on Options Trader as well. It doesn’t need any separate activation… simply place an order after market hours and you will see it as shown in the image above.

Dear @PravinJ jee, I have checked this, but only AMO (with three options) is visible, but the pre-market order is not visible. Although it is 9.8am today, I clicked the screenshot, but I tried in between 9.8am and 9.7am, and the same is not available for order. Please check with my account.

@DebadattaMahakud
Routine / regular pre-open closes at 9:07AM.

Any order placed between 9 to 9:07AM will either be accepted (executed) or it will be carried forward at 9:15AM when market opens.

1 Like

Thank You @amish but even from 9.am to 9.7am, my pre-market order feature is not available in my option trader app. That is my point of concern.

Hi @DebadattaMahakud Please check for the latest app version of Options Trader (just in case) and also try placing order today after 4 PM. Please let us know.

1 Like

Thank you @PravinJ jee , just checked the same for order execution and also is there any update pending for my app but app is updated and the pre market order feature is not showing in option trader app as well as in dhan app .
Screenshot attached for your reference.
Kindly resolve the issue.

Bit weird, hope you are trying to buy Stock or ETF and not Options or Futures. These segment trade only when markets open, Pre Open is for Stocks.

Thank you @PravinJ jee, Ohhh Got it. Just checked reliance, and pre-market order is available. …i was trying to order nifty options.
Thank you for your valuable time
love for @Dhan :two_hearts: