Now Live: Pledging Your Shares on Dhan Gets Even Simpler

As traders, one of the most common ways of bringing in margins required for placing trades is via collateral (in the form of stocks/portfolio holdings) that can be pledged.

Considering its abundant usage, we built Pledge on Dhan to be one of the most seamless experiences in the industry. We have written a detailed post on Pledging Shares on Dhan here. Just to list a few benefits of using pledge on Dhan:

1. Instant Margin Benefit within 15 minutes.
  2. Available on Options Buying (yes, on buying too) as well as Options Selling.
  3. Available across all exchanges: BSE, NSE & MCX.
  4. Available across all segments: Options, Futures, Cash, Currency & Commodities.
  5. Available across all order types: Market, Limit, Trigger, Bracket, Cover, Iceberg, etc.
  6. Available on both order legs: Buy or Sell.

To make pledge discovery on Dhan even simpler we have now introduced pledge in the Funds Top Up section as an additional method to add funds for trading.

The New Pledge Experience

As a trader, there are times when you have a portfolio that can be used as collateral but it’s lying unused or you are short on funds. In such scenarios, while topping up funds to Dhan, you will see a 4th option (other than the existing UPI, net banking & smart transfer methods) which will allow you to pledge your existing holdings on Dhan and use margin benefits from it for placing trades.

Please note that you will be able to use this option only if you have holdings to the extent of the funds that you want to add on Dhan. You can then select the stocks that you would like to pledge and complete the process as per the normal pledging procedure.

Try pledging your shares on Dhan today and let us know what you think!

Thanks,
Pranita
Product @ Dhan

5 Likes

What is the interest charges on margin?

Hi @amankrjha

Welcome to the Dhan community

Interest Calculation on Margin:-

As per exchange guidelines, for creating F&O positions, out of total margin requirements 50% of the margin can be in cash, and the remaining 50% can be non-cash components (Portfolio Holdings). The shortfall portions of the cash margin funded will attract an interest rate of 0.0438% per day.

Read more on this:-

i want to pledge bhart bound ETF-2025 will i get 90% back once I pledge and how much interest you will charge I will only using partly so what will you advise and explain sometimes I will use the amount partially and so will the chargeable as per used amount or how explain

Hey @9819117840 ,

You can check margins available against your portfolio here. Interest will be charged on utilised amount only. As per exchange guidelines, out of total margin requirements 50% of the margin can be in cash, and the remaining 50% can be non-cash components (Portfolio Holdings). The shortfall portions of the cash margin funded will attract an interest rate of 0.0438% per day.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks,
Pranita
Product @ Dhan

Suppose I have pledge margin of 5000 rs
I buy equity for delivery for long term.

Then in case of equity buying …I need to maintain. 50- 50 margin or not

If I have 5000 pledge margin…then how much money out of this 5000 can be used to buy equity for delivery so that no interest charge will be applied to my account

Hey @Anandkumar ,

It depends on how much of the margin is from cash & non cash component. If 100% of the margin is cash component then no interest will be charged. However, if more than 50% of the margin component is non cash component, interest will be charged to that extent.

Thanks,
Pranita
Product @ Dhan

You means to say if I have 5000 pledge amount then I can use maximum of 2500 rs so that interest charge not applied to my account

If I use more than 2500 then I have to interest even cash delivery segment