Requiring Extra margins than other platforms

Previously i informed this issue, but again i am facing it, please check once
@Naman

Kite Margins:

Dhan Margins:

2 Likes

Is there any one to answer or resolve this issue

Hi @Jp007 we are having this checked with our risk team. No comment / query on dhan community goes unnoticed by us.

1 Like

Hi @Jp007

We checked this and can confirm that our margins shown are correct. For your reference, I am posting latest version of your basket, please refer to same…

Won’t be right for us to comment on other brokers, and I will avoid posting their screenshots. We just verified this for sake of verification to ensure we are correct - the platform you are referring to has different margin requirements for web & mobile and is not in sync.

Margin requirements for any position are based on span files that are received from exchanges 5-6 times in a day. Our system consumes these data in real-time and shows same across all platforms - app, web and tradingview.dhan.co.

Hope this clarifies.

1 Like

Ps: Also to be clear - I am not saying other platform is incorrect, but yesterday markets were very volatile and the margin requirements may be subject to respective platforms risk management policies.

Dhan systems were up and our platform showed real-time values at all times.

2 Likes

Even today I executed the orders through basket order but it’s failed.
So you are agreeing that you have a different margins.

I just checked that the same orders in other platforms and you are so differ from those margins.

I don’t know the policies what you said, when we compare these margins i was quite disappointed with dhan.

I was shifted to dhan because of otm allowing so that I can reduce margins but now i realised that there is a margin difference…

I don’t need a screenshot of others , i just posted that for your confirmation.

My orders:
32500 PE - 4
31000 PE - 4

Yours :
Funds required: 390000
Final: 245700

Others(z):
Required: 245000
Final: 197800

This is realtime margins as per the market volatility. Currently Market is running

1 Like

I think the problem with your basket is order arrangements,

When we have 1st buy and 2nd sell orders then it has to reduce the margins.

But it’s showing the same in
1.Buy
2.Sell

&&

1.Sell
2.Buy.

Please check it and you may realise the issue with your platform otherwise we will realise.

@Jp007,

Very valid concern.

There shouldn’t be such huge difference actually. I think this must be investigated further and resolved, otherwise, what’s point of getting better platform experience by the sacrificing on core monitory benefits :saluting_face:

2 Likes

Having this checked again

Hi @Jp007 ,

We would like to get on a video call with you to discuss more about the issue. It would be very helpful if you please drop us a mail on feedback@dhan.co with your preferred time and date, me and my team would be there on call too.

I sent an email to you. Please check it., I want to resolve it as soon as possible so i am available now… please connect as soon as possible.

Hi,
I want to know the time required to solve this issue, because i don’t want to sit idle until you solve it…

I was discussed over the call and chat and community about this issue from the last few days, but ,i really don’t know whether you understand it or not, but it’s a problem in your platform.

At least you are not agreeing the problem in basket order. Every time you are saying the same thing we following sebi rules, ofcourse you may, but everyone has the same rules , the problem is in your system.

While placing the buy orders 1st and sell orders next then it has to reduce the margins, but your system showing the same thing.

If you say like our rules and system is good then that is also fine, there is no need to discuss further.
@PravinJ @Naman @Pranita @prikulkarni

Hi @Jp007

Just sharing one example for your reference, how margins are calculated as per exchange. Exchange required margin is Span + Exposure, which in this case is Rs. 2,30,194.85. This is exactly matching with the ones that we are displaying on Dhan.

The reason you are possibly seeing the difference when you compare with other brokers is that they might be reducing the premium to be received (in this case -25,000), and as a result show a final margin of Rs. 2,05,194.90.

Please note that this premium to be received, will be realised on T+1 day and the amount is credited in the ledger only, but not reduced from margin. So next day, the margin used will be same as previous day ie. Rs. 2,25,194.85 and the premium difference of Rs. 20000 (25000 - 5000) will be credited in the client ledger itself.

So you may feel the margin is different or lower, but this is what I am assuming is happening in their calculation v/s the one we show on Dhan. Now I am not sure why this is done, we show the actual margin required as per exchange specification and we wouldn’t be comfortable showing it any other way than what is prescribed by the exchanges… even if it feels that lower margin is required.

Hope this clarifies. Our team will be happy to get on a call and explain this if required.

Contract BUY/SELL Qty Price Gross value of premium Span Exposure Exchange Required margin Final Margin
BANKNIFTY 31000 PE BUY 100 50 5000
BANKNIFTY 32500 PE SELL -100 250 -25000 164454.8 65740.1 230194.85 205194.9
1 Like

Please Check what dhan says and what basket says

Don’t you get the difference between the fund required of basket and exchange required margin in that table?

1 Like

I am talking about fund requirements, see in your shared table exchange margin required column and dhan basket required fundS.

whatever you mentioned in that table was True except the “EXCHANGE REQUIRED MARGIN”.

==> In your table Exchange required margin: Rs.230000
In Dhan basket: Rs. 500000

when we place buy orders first the required margin & fund required become almost equal.

This is the problem with your basket orders, it shows the same for both types ([BUY, SELL], [SELL, BUY]).

if you want clarity on this I am available to you, and you can check this in span margin calculators also.

and you mentioned in the table that was True, but not in the Basket.

you can observe the difference between these two images. when we interchange the order arrangement the required margins come down. Not only this one platform but also other platforms too has the same rules and all traders know that.

Here is Dhan Basket

if observe these above images, there is no difference in fund required margins.

This is the actual problem. I have the margin required amount, but because of the fund requirement amount, I am unable to place the orders.

Still, If you don’t get this issue, and you think that your system is fine then there is no purpose to discuss and be here.

Hi @Jp007

Your initial question was about the margin requirement, you haven’t mentioned about this now - so I am assuming this is resolved and its clear how Dhan is showing margins that are actually required by the exchanges and shown upfront.

On newer queries and observations…

1. For Market orders - all the Margin required are same as that of anyone else. Hope this is also fine.
  2. On Final Margin required - I checked this with other platform v/s ours. For Limit Orders - Dhan, shows the actual margin required based on the Limit price, while other platform shows it based on market price or LTP. You can try placing the order, it will get rejected there and or exchange will reject it. This is only in case when LTP < Limit price.
  3. New query you posted now, about sequence of orders and change in Final Margin Required and Funds Required… let me explain these…

Will there be change in Funds Required? - No, this is absolutely correct and it is sum of margin required in individual legs.
Will there be a change in Margin Required? - Yes, we make changes for this in our systems to reflect that.

Our current baskets product is built in a way that - both orders can will be sent simultaneously to the exchange… depending in liquidity and order type, one of the orders may get executed before the other, but funds requirement of both will be the same. Note: You do have option to send individual order to exchange and execute them on Dhan.

Hope this clarifies, and thank you for highlighting. We will make the required change to reflect the change in margin requirement when sequence of order changes.

2 Likes

Thank you. I hope you will resolve the issue what you found in my query as soon as possible.

You have not resolved his concern on funds required. It is way too much like 4x compared to others. I have same concern. You guys don’t want to fix this look like and taking the issue in circles.

Hi @vivekbagade

Seems you are comparing funds required (on Dhan) w/t Margin Required (on other Broker). What needs to be compared is Final Margin Required (on Dhan) w/t Final Margin (on other Broker).

We have stated above as well, Dhan shows absolutely correct information, while other platform order will reduce option premium to be received. This is incorrect way of presenting margin according to us. Dhan shows margin required as required by the exchange.

On other hand, the only open item on this thread is that margin required needs to be updated base don which order leg is executed first (we are working on this). Also as indicated, Dhan baskets are designed to execute both legs at same time, or any leg at any time.

Hope this clarifies. Thank you.