Trading Journal! How do you do it?

How do you record your daily trades along with the intraday mindset you had while taking those trade? Share tools and templates.

I have started writing down my trades and thinking/reasoning in a paper notebook.

I am curious to know if you have started and what your system is.

I am mostly a swing or positional trader in equities (no intraday, no FnO).

1 Like

It is like a diary entry we do every day

1. list of trades taken
  2. mtm loss or profit
  3. rationale for taking the trade
  4. list of positions closed, kept open for overnight

I started by saving it as Telegram messages. Then I switched to a personal blog where I could search and analyze even after a few weeks.

Trust me, a Daily Journal will help you in many ways than you have imagined.

2 Likes

Good question
This is how I made my FNO journal
Date l day l time l trade No. l option l validity l outcome l risk l reward l Balance
1/1/24 l MON l10AMl 1. l Put. l yes. l target hit l-500l +750 l 15000

Why we need journal

1. To avoid over trading . When you journal every trade your focus is on valid trades coz you are accountable for every trade.
  2. To track your trading . Are you trading on setup and taking valid trades or just making low probability trades without any setup.
  3. To know which is your best time to take trade and after putting your journal for one year you will get this information that you take maximum trades on particular time and once you know that timing zone you will no need to sit and watch full live market.

Many more things you will find when you jump into it

If you find my experience helpful. Then help others to make journal
Coz this is the weak link. Which should be strong to become a professional trader.

1 Like

Really an interesting thought, is there a reason maintaining a physical diary helps you more than a digital version?

1 Like

looks quite helpful.

Do you maintain your records in a physical diary or digitally only?

1 Like

Writing in a physical diary helps you focus your thoughts leading to more insights and aha moments. Plus, you remember more.

Writing down also helps avoid over-trading.

This depends on person to person
As I am using digital platform. Which is easy to maintain for me.
Plus
Digital records are easy to share as well as I will see my equity curve performance. Convert my data into bar graphs and many more things I can do with my digital records.

Pen paper data is only good for tracking emotions .
But when it comes to track profitability, growth, & stability we have to use digital platforms.

This is my point of View .

well my trading journal dashboard looks like this

Is that possible to capture images in trading journal? This was we don’t have manually write somewhere.

1 Like

Yes you can . By taking the link of that particular chart and past that link on your journal. Whenever you want to see that trade you can simply click that link . You will get your image.
Maybe this will help you.

1 Like