Why Dhan need more margin in option strategies: Resolved

Hi @amols, Noted. On both sell side legs, we are optimising for the margin requirements.

2 Likes

This issue reported 7 months back. Still you are not given any solution. I have moved my fund 6 months back due to this issue.

hi @pulsetrader, if this were easy… we would have done it already. We have focussing a lot more now on scaling up our services + there are tons of changes happening on regulatory side of things. While it takes time, can assure you we ship on product & tech possibly the fastest in industry.

Ok take you own time. Once it will solve will try to trade in dhan again.

And really appreciate the new wonderful features that you have already implemented.

2 Likes

Any updates on why the margins required in Dhan are higher ??
Lower available margins to trade will result in lesser number of trades & possibly lower returns

1 Like

It’s only for one instance of strategy, we are already working to optimise this.

@PravinJ I also noticed that Dhan is showing nearly double the required margin / overall margin compared to zerodha. I understand the final margin difference between Zerodha and Dhan is the premium amount to be received and that is fine. But overall margin seems out of whack. Last week couple of my fellow trader orders failed due to this high margin requirement at Dhan and so am highlighting the issue here.

1 Like

@PravinJ @Dhan_Help any update on this ?

Missed this, will review. Think this is the only case where margin blocked is higher, we are working on this one.

1 Like

@PravinJ any update on this pls ?

It’s work in progress, will keep you posted when it goes live.

2 Likes

Hi Dhan team,

All these days i was writing options in Dhan and today for some reason the overall margin requirement for the same shot up by 1 lakhs per combination that i am selling. I compared it with other brokers and it is still showing the lower margin requirement. I am sure you are working on this. The reason for my post is to let you know that it is a problem when ur margin requirements are 1 lakh higher than the other brokers it basically makes my trade way less practical and i am also not able to sell the number of lots i usually do. I am moving all my funds to continue taking my trades with a lower margin requirement. Will keep checking dhan and its margin requirements and would come back when it seems feasible and comparable to the other brokers. Please see if your team can do something about it.

1 Like

Hi @9739978485,

Welcome to Dhan Community!

You may see some variance in Overall margin requirement but the Final margin requirement - the margin that is blocked post trade execution - should be in the same range. Feel free to share your basket order details on help@dhan.co and we will be happy to address this for you.

At the same time, note that some brokers reduce the premium to be received from the Final margin. While we do give benefit of the premium received post trade execution, we prefer not to show this as a deduction from the margin required.

Hope this helps.
P.S. Request you to change your user name - currently your Mobile number is visible.

If we need nearly 2x margin to enter a trade in Dhan relative to other brokers then it hurts. The difference is not just the premium received for a sell position but way more than that. Please see my post above. I guess @9739978485 is also referring to the same.

Hi @t7support,

We are just being conservative and sharing the margin required in a rare scenario where all trade get executed at one go.

If the trades get executed one after the other as per the sequence, only the Final margin required is what is actually needed.

As Pravin has mentioned we are working to optimize this used-case.

In a basket order Dhan typically varies the margin depending on the way the legs are arranged. Its not shown based on the scenario where every order gets fired simultaneously. Also in a basket order the orders are fired in the order in which it is arranged. So the rare scenario never appears. My fellow traders orders triggered via API (arranged in correct order - first long order confirmation then short order placement) failed because of this excess margin requirement. So am looking forward to this optimisation at your end.

Hello Team Dhan,

May I request for an update please. I have recently opened an account with Dhan primarily for option selling and this issue stands as a road block. Do we have any tentative time line for the fix?

@ASingh This seems to be fixed now. Thanks @Dhan_Help @PravinJ

Thanks @t7support , yes this was done a while back. We are still looking for scenarios where optimisation is required. Let us know if you come across any such.

1 Like