Market feed API

@Hardik - When is the Live Market feed API planned to be release. Any timeline or ETA for it ?

Hi @Khaleedh

Welcome to the Dhan community

We are actively working on it and will make sure to keep you updated as soon as we have a specific time frame available.

I didn’t know that you don’t have the market feed API production ready. That too, would be available for a hefty subscription that makes it practically unusable for somebody who is just starting out.

The fear of abuse is absolutely rubbish and only a naive person would agree with you. If you can rate limit the order API, so could the other measures be taken. it’s not going to cost you a lot of bandwidth anyway. If 24/7/365 music and video streaming services could be available to the masses without a charge, why can’t a few bytes of text responses to the minority group of programmers turning to trading?

Your API developers gets paid whether or not some individual traders or organizations (who makes a lot of money day trading, already) buy into your subscription.

That leaves me only two options,

1. Figure out if it is possible to place orders programmatically using the TradingView platform integration.

2. Sign up with the Fyers, who have all the discounts that you are giving as a discount broker and a completely free, production ready API. Plus some even more discounts such as no charge for pledge and unpledge. Groww and Dhan (If I am not wrong) charge on when you unpledge.

First I get to know that Groww don’t have a clue on the API development. Now signed up with Dhan and who knew, the information was not disclosed before hand.

Otherwise, I would have looked even more.

I request to the product manager @Anirudha to come up with an alternative business modal on this feature. Such as a smaller percentage on the profit made on the orders placed using the programmatic access. If you can’t absolutely afford to do away with the fees like some other discount brokers. And please make it clear on the pricing page somewhere beforehand.

It’s funny that you haven’t even launched the market feed API but came up with the subscription price. No free trial or the first adopter advantage.

EDIT:
NSE provides Level 1 data for free. If you just want to trade on the price action or technical indicators, L1 is all you need.

2 Likes

I am evaluating Fyres currently for the exact same reason.

Dhan’s pricing policy doesn’t makes sense. Their focus is on derivates traders and therefore they’ll get APIs for free after a threshold, but the same is not applicable for cash segment.

Hello @thebigshort

Welcome to Dhan Community!

We have kept the pricing such wherein if you are a Dhan Trader, you do not end up paying any charges for any of the APIs. We have kept a minimal pricing for Data APIs to ensure that the data is being used by serious traders only. If I were to compare our server cost per user for Data APIs to the price, our server costs far outweigh the price. Hence, earning money through APIs is not what we are looking for here.

On Market Feed, yes it is under development and rest assured, there will not be any hefty subscription fees to access it. The pricing that you see is for all Data APIs, and currently, we do have Historical Data API which is widely used.

We have a flat brokerage pricing module and we plan to keep it that way. Also, as stated, there is no plan to earn money through API access.

Hello @sv28

We focus on all segments and all types of users here, whether they be traders or investors.

Data API pricing has been kept minimal for the exact same reason. And the only reason to have a barrier of 25 F&O trades here is simply to have a filteration for genuine use cases only. As you know, we do not charge anything for equity delivery at Dhan, and hence anyone can place 25 trades in a single day and start polling our Data APIs.

We want to ensure that APIs are not being misused and we can serve our users the best.

Good for you. Or the Dhan traders.

I know how much the web services cost, on a scale. But thanks anyway.

can you suggest Python code using DHAN API for getting the NIFTY LTP.

Hello @sachinjha

Welcome to Dhan Community!

Currently, you cannot get LTP data via DhanHQ APIs as we are building Live Market Feed and yet to release the same. You can use our 1 min OHLC data for intraday if that helps you.

Here is the link to the documentation for the same - Historical Data - DhanHQ Ver 1.0 / API Document. You can find detailed python documentation here itself.

So there is no Pine editor or Strategy tester on tv.dhan.co even though there is no limit on the number of indicators used or charts split layout.

Although both these features are available with the free TradingView plan.

Because you really not trying to earn money with a INR6K a year API subscription?

Hello @thebigshort

The reason for not having Pine Editor or Strategy Tester on tv.dhan.co is not a limitation on our end but a Trading View library limitation. You can read more about it here - Dhan TradingView Console (tv.dhan.co) - Explore Trading from Charts, brought to you by TradingView. If you know Pinescript, you might want to look into Dhan TradingView Webhooks here.

Now, with the API subscription bit, you do not require any subscription to trade via our APIs. If you require data, that too is available for free if you have 25 F&O trades in last 30 days. I am sure a serious trader like you with know how of TradingView Pinescript and algos would be doing this already.

Hello, Hardik.

Yes, you are write about that. I’ll try to place orders using Webhooks, thanks.

No, I am just dumb money.

@Hardik Fair enough. However, isn’t the assumption incorrect that all serious traders do F&O only?

@sv28

Yes, I agree that there might be a set of users who are super traders, but not do F&O. However, it is difficult to identify such users and generalise a logic there. Also, number of traders using algos to trade equities are significantly lower.

Yes you are right , the dhan doesn’t have any commitment against there delivery, from last one year they are telling the same thing that they are still developing api.
It better to move to fyers where we get good api for fno segment trading.

Dhan doesn’t fit for fno traders.

Any updates on the market feed and LTP API/Sockets yet? Oct was the month but now even November is gone!

Dhan team, how can over trade when there is no bhav?

1 Like

Any updates on Market Feed API?

Hi @VijayNair @swatijain @ramans117 We are launching Market Feeds APIs in this month. It’s already being used by few users.

Hello @sv28 @abhiabairagi1 @Khaleedh @thebigshort @sachinjha @ramans117 @VijayNair

We have just released Live Market Feed as part of DhanHQ APIs. Do try this out and let us know your feedback: