Now Live: Update Primary Bank Online on Dhan

Hi all,

As you must have guessed from the title, we’re ready with a much awaited feature on Dhan. Your bank accounts on Dhan are an integral part of your investing and trading experience.

At Dhan we always understood this and made available many features and offerings, let me restate a few of them here:

• Ability to connect up to 5 Banks to Dhan
  • Zero Charges or Fees for Funds Transfer (Possibly only broker in the industry)
  • Instant Withdrawals from Dhan (First to industry, and possibly only broker to offer the same)
  • Dedicated virtual account for every trading client, allowing Smart Transfer up to 99.99 Lacs in a single transaction
  • Pledge as Payment experience
  • …and many more small things that are under the hood

When you are onboarding with us, we ask you to link a bank account, which we verify (through automated and human checks) if it really belongs to you as per the regulations. Once your Dhan account is created, you can then use this bank account to transfer funds in and out seamlessly. This is also known as your Primary Bank Account.

We felt that having one account to transfer funds could be a limitation, hence we soon added the option to add up to four additional secondary bank accounts to your profile as well. Unlike other brokerage accounts, you could access most services with these accounts, including the most essential - pay-in and payout.

However, a small set of users face scenarios in which the primary account linked with us is closed or they have decided to part their banking relationship altogether. In this case, they will not receive dividend payouts (in case you have invested in a scrip which pays dividends), referral payouts (in case you decide to withdraw your referral earnings) or quarterly settlements (in case you have money lying in your account for more than 90 days).

In all of these cases, we process the payout in your Primary Bank account only. The only way to change it (till yesterday) was to print our “Account Modification Form”, fill and sign it and then courier it to our registered office. Now you can do this entire process online!

You can do this by following the steps below:

1. Simply navigate to the “Banks” section on your Dhan app or web by clicking on the “Money” tab
  2. Click on the “More” button on any of your secondary bank that you want to change to Primary
  3. Click on “Set as Primary Account”
  4. Give your consent to deduct ₹25 (+GST) from your Dhan ledger
  5. Provide your confirmation on the bank you want to change to Primary
  6. Proceed to eSign with the Aadhaar number you used to open your Dhan account

On successful Aadhaar based eSign, we will initiate the request and send it to exchanges and depository. The entire process may take up to 24 hours. Once completed, we will notify you via email. You would also be able to see the status by visiting the “Banks” section highlighted above.

As promised, Primary Bank Change is one of the Digitised Service Requests we promised for 2023 and more is yet to come. For any feedback, kindly reach out to at feedback@dhan.co

-Anirudha Basak
Product at Dhan

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q1: I don’t see the option to “Set as Primary Account” on clicking “More”?

A1: This may happen if you only have one bank account added on Dhan. The option will only be visible for secondary banks. First, click on “Add a Bank Account” and follow the on-screen steps to add the bank account which you want to make your Primary account. Once it is successfully verified by the team, you can then follow the steps highlighted in the original post to complete the process. If you do not see the option on your secondary app as well, please make sure you are on the latest version of the app.

Q2: How can I delete my bank account?

A2: Currently, we do not have any provision to delete your bank account. However, if you feel that you do not use a particular account anymore, you can change your primary bank account (if required). We do not send the details of any of your secondary accounts to any exchange or depository. You can simply stop using it on Dhan as well.

Q3: My e-Sign has failed. What should I do?

A3: The most common reason for e-Sign failure is when you try to eSign with an Aadhaar number that does not belong to you. However, we request you to get in touch with us at help@dhan.co if you still face any issues.

8 Likes

Missing Bank Remove Option

Hi @EarnWithRinku ,

Welcome to Dhan community !

We have this feedback and our team is already working on this. Thankyou.

1 Like

Hi @Dhan @Anirudha I can’t see the option in mobile app. When will it be available on the app? Your customer executive told currently it is available in the web only

Hi @sri1647 , we have launched it across all our platforms. You might be able to view the option immediately if you’re on web or iOS.

If you’re an Android user, it might take some time for you to receive the latest update on the Play Store.

There should be an option to update the primary bank details. The current modification requires one to have a secondary account and then that secondary can be made primary. There shouldn’t be any need to add a secondary account in the first place. Direct modification of primary bank details should be there.

Primary Bank change has to reflect not just in our systems, but also in multiple ones - exchanges, depositories, and via them to RTAs who processes dividends etc. There are challenges to execute it that way.

1 Like

Thank you for wonderful feature. Please bring in option to delete the bank account option also which is bon primary in future

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @anilmm2005 .

Sure, if I may ask - what would be the primary motivate to remove a bank account from Dhan? If you could explain in a few words, it would help us build the feature in a better way.

Yes @Anirudha I have some use case.
If someone closes the account due to some unforeseen issues like fraud happening or decides not to use that bank anymore for trading purpose then this option will give them the option to safe guard themselves

1 Like

Hi Anirudha, opening, closing, linking, delinking a bank account - everything happens in a jiffy these days. This is somewhat similar to opening a new demat account despite having an older one. So if a Growww or a Zerodha can provide these services, why can’t Dhan?

Zerodha charges a fee for this, Growww does it for free. Dhan can decide its own pathway over here. This is a standard service being provided by most of the other brokers. I myself have two bank accounts linked with my Dhan demat which have been closed over the past one year, unable to unlink it though as of now.

1 Like

Hi @tusharj,

Thank you for sharing your inputs. While this is on our roadmap, I wanted to understand the usecase better. We will keep you updated.

Nice to hear that. Felt happy to see that one of my suggestions i.e. scanner for QR login via Dhan logo was implemented. Really cool BTW!!!

2 Likes

Keep contributing to the Dhan community :slight_smile: